More-Save Stack Woes - Could someone PLEASE explain this...

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 22 07:08:41 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have done some more digging and it seems that this is the case:

The "Stack" (Dialog) I am talking about is actually a Sub-Stack. If I
make it a main stack then it works!

So, my question now is, how can I make this work on a sub-stack? I
don't care if the Main Stack and all it's sub-stacks are saved, but
if the cancel button is pressed, I just want the controls in the
model to be set to the vales they had when the modal was opened.

Thanks again
Dave

Hi,

Could some PLEASE just explain this to me! All I want to do is to
close a stack and sometimes save what the user has done in the GUI
and other times not, for instance if they Press "OK" then I want to
save and close the stack, if they press "Cancel" then I want to close
the Stack but not save it.

This is what I have in a simple modal dialog:

One Checkbox.
One OK Button
One Cancel Button.

In the Script for the OK button I have the following:

on mouseUp
save this stack
close this stack
end mouseUp

In the Script for the Cancel button I have the following:

on mouseUp
close this stack
end mouseUp

I run the app under the IDE and call up the dialog, the checkbox is
initally off so I set it on and press the cancel button. I then call
up the dialog again and............... The Checkbox is ON Even though
I have not issued a save stack command!!!!!!

Is this supposed to happen? Is this a bug in the RunRev (v2.2 running
MacOS Classic and X) App?  I've played around with the destroyStack
and destroyWindow properties, they don't seem to do anything.

As far as I can tell, I've done everything that people on this list
have suggested I do in order to get this to work, and it just plain
doesn't and now I don't know where else to turn...........

If someone could please just explain how to do this simple operation
I'd would be eternally grateful!

I need the solution to work while running under the IDE and as a
standalone (this is a separate Stack, so it CAN be saved to, I am not
trying to save to a Standalone Stack).

One other thing, on the same subject. How do I stop the IDE putting
up the "This stack has not been saved" dialog? It seems that
*sometimes* the stack hasn't been saved (usually when I issue a close
from the IDE while in "Browse" mode). I am guessing that if I ever
get the above save/close to work that this will be my next problem,
but maybe not.

Anyway, I'm am totally worn out by all this, a sample stack that does
these very simple things is really needed IMO. As it is, RunRev is
great but it's taking far too much time to do these simple things. I
could have coded the whole window in C/C++ by now and had complete
control over whether or not the data was saved or not. RunRev is
supposed to be a productivity tool, which it is potentially, but if
there is no documentation and no samples to work from then it won't
be adopted very quickly or at all.

Sorry to sound negative and I'll most likely soon recover from it,
but right now it just seems like an uphill

Thanks for all your help and advice
Dave