Does RR use "Self-Tuning Boyer-Moore string search" [was Re: But what's the question? (was: RB clear winner in speed]

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Wed Apr 21 17:42:39 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, at 09:00  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

>> We can't change the fact that RB has a faster substring
>> searcher than Rev

There are lots of articles on fast string searching, e.g.

http://www.grouse.com.au/ggrep/string.html

http://www.arstdesign.com/articles/fastsearch.html

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/best-ideas/string-searching/

http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~gnavarro/software/

I think it would be time well spent for RR to implement at least the
"Self-Tuning Boyer-Moore string search" at
http://www.grouse.com.au/ggrep/stbm.c.html

> Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>
>> In a real world application, who cares whether a particular
>> routine takes 100 ms or 500 ms

If you're running it once, maybe you don't care.  But if it's in a loop
of 100 or 1000 then there's a big difference.

Anything that RR can do to speed up low-level routines, the better off
we'll all be.

-- Frank