Devanagari woes

Friedrich F. Grohmann shedrup at ms9.hinet.net
Wed Apr 21 12:25:22 EDT 2004

Chamundi kindly pointed out that

>The DevanagariExtLA font appears to be OK in AppleWorks 6.2.4...

I have AppleWorks 6.2.7 and the two Devanagari fonts installed by the
system do not show up in the menubar. Not only this, the Devanagari
keyboards are also dimmed and not accessible. The situation is the same
for Hebrew, by the way, so I'm inclined to think that it's not simply a
font issue.

Just for the sake of completeness I should mention that in the meantime
I've given Mellel 1.7.5 a try. Both, fonts and keyboards, are accessible
but the result is much worse than what happens in a Revolution field. For
Hebrew, of course, Mellel seems to be first class.

MisterX posed a number of questions:

>Are you using styled text? Bold italic, using it in HTMLtext or RTF? Might
>single it down...
>
>Have you tried different sizes?

No styled text, nothing fancy, as plain as possible. And size makes no
difference either. As a matter of fact, the font menu in the Rev Object
Inspector doesn't even  show the Devanagari fonts. Still, selecting the
proper keyboard, I am able to type Devanagari. The problem is only that
some characters do not show up and some are misplaced, in other words,
it's pretty useless so far.

Nevertheless thanks to all who showed concern or interest. It seems my
only hope now is that someone in Edinburgh will realize the incredible
potential of the Indian market and some effort is put into addressing the
issue...

Fritz