Dialog Box in the Center of the Screen . . .

Chris Condit ccondit at geo.umass.edu
Tue Apr 20 10:53:44 EDT 2004

Roger said:
"I have a narrow (180 pixels) "Palette" style stack on the extreme left
edge of the screen from which I call up an "answer" dialog box.  On the
Mac (OS X) this dialog box is centered on the screen, but in the
Windows environment this dialog box is centered on the "Palette" stack
and is therefore partially offscreen.  How can I make this dialog box
appear in the center of the screen on the Windows platform?"
---
What I do is set the the ask & answer palettes to always open at the
center of the screen, by having them open at the screenLoc.

To do this, I use Revolution's "View" Menu to "Show the Revolution UI
Elements in the List", and then use the "Tools" menu to "Show the
Application Browser" .  Select the "Ask dialog" and right-click on it
and show it's script.  In the preOpenCard handler, add the line "set
the loc of me to the screenLoc", and apply the change..  Do the same
with the "Answer dialog".  Then close Revolution and when it asks if
you ant to save the changes to stack "Ask Dialog", select "Save".  Do
the same with the Answer dialog.

Now when dialogs open they will open in the center of the screen.
I's a keeper, and when you make a astand alone with your version o
fRev., the script will still apply to these dialogs

I thought we had a bug to get the runRev crew to give us the option
to add ask  "at 200,200", or where ever, but since I've not gotten
involved in the bugzilla game, am not sure of its status at this
point.

hope it helps.  this was talked about 6 months or so ago, when I ran
into the same problem, and other more involved, and more elegant
solutions offered.

Chris
--
Dr. Christopher D. Condit,  Associate Prof.,  Dept. of Geosciences
Univ. Massachusetts,  611 North Pleasant St., Amherst, MA, 01003-9297