ask file with filter

Dreamscape Software Webmaster webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com
Sun Apr 18 09:50:13 EDT 2004

> >There is currently no way to do that ; but you could
> >always check the extension of the file :
> >
> >  answer "Select a file"
> >  if it is empty then exit to top
> >  put it into tFilePath
> >  put char -3 to -1 of tFilePath into tExtension
>    I don't think you can count on a file extension *always* being 3
> characters. Consider all those ".html" files out there, for instance.
Therefore, it
> might be best to modify this code as follows:
>
>   answer "Select a file"
>   if it is empty then exit to top
>   put it into tFilePath
>   set the itemDelimiter to "." # i.e., period
>   put the last item of tFilePath into tExtension
>
>    You may get into trouble with files that don't actually *have* an
> extension... but then again, such files could yield problematic results
with the
> *original* code, too, so I think the ability to handle 4-character
extensions is a
> win, overall.

I'm really not having a problem with handling Windows 8.3 filenames.  I just
figured that if Rev gave the user the ability to put a filter into the ask
file command, that you would be able to find out what filter the user ended
up choosing.  This way I don't have to make seperate menu items for saving
with different file types.

Hopefully in a future version I guess.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software