XML to XHTML via XSLT

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Apr 17 00:25:01 EDT 2004

Is there a Revolution library that does XSLT that we can run as a
faceless process or invoke on a per GET request basis (in case we are
not able to allow a running process on a given server)?

I'm just getting started with XML and it looks like something very
useful. In particular it is so obviously the way to encapsulate any
data for which you see a variety of future delivery/repurposing
requirements.

But I'm  bit naive I think in terms of expectations for using XML docs
as source for web delivery. I thought it was something simple. I'm just
now starting to look into the options, but client side XSL
transformations of XML source to dependable XHTML seems to be a can of
worms. I'd rather make it a server side transformation, but that
requires a server side XML --> XSL --> XHTML process of some kind to be
running or be invokable as a per instance script call. If we could do
this with just a revolution engine installed in the CGI bin and bit of
xTalk on the side to call as needed, it would be soooo sweet.

I am thinking raw XLM data with a simple set of nodes that could be
converted to XHMTL chunk and then inserted into larger more complete
template that pulls on CSS and is then delivered to the client. I could
easily write a parser/processor that would change stuff like

<category>Family and Children</category>

<h3>Family and Children</h3>

but, I'm wondering if someone has already done this, or if I'm missing
something. Targeted application platform would be Apache running on
Linux. The w3 org site seems to live in Redmond, Washington and
examples requires a MS  toolset.  I'm hoping not to have to get into
that boat.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery