SC, Rev,and RB speed test

Chris Yavelow Chris at yav.com
Thu Apr 15 23:08:48 EDT 2004

Richard wrote:
>Are you evaluating products for a particular project?  If so there are
>many axes to consider in your decision matrix, with speed being only
>one.  Tell us a bit more about the project and the platforms you're
>targeting and we'll be able to help weigh the pros and cons of Rev for
>that app.

Hi Richard,
Long time no see. I guess you missed the first line (at
http://www.yav.com/speed.html ): "I've been trying to make up my mind
about switching to RealBasic 5.5.1 or possibly Revolution 2.2 from
SuperCard 4.1.2 for a particular project that involves a mammoth
amount of text processing."

Actually, this project is already finished (in SuperCard). It
processes millions of characters of text and displays results by way
of nearly 400 fields using every square inch of a cinema display,
graphs, and other cute interface elements. The problem is that it
runs much too slow to be practical -- well, that's not exactly
correct: it *is* practical, but the slowness is annoying.

You know more than most on this list that I will squeeze every
millisecond out of my code, but SuperCard will only go just so fast.
I'm just a novice with Revolotion and RealBasic, so I'm trying to
figure out if RealBasic really is THAT fast and whether Revolution
can't be coaxed to go a bit faster than I'm able to make it.

Chris