SC, Rev,and RB speed test

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Apr 15 11:22:55 EDT 2004

On Apr 14, 2004, at 9:50 PM, Chris Yavelow wrote:

> I'm conducting an informal speed test comparing identical projects in
> SuperCard (4.1.2), Revolution (2.2), and RealBasic (5.5.1). The
> projects match 3,000 short phrases against an 81,920 word text. There
> has already been some feedback and these simple projects are now
> running even faster. Each one is only a dozen lines of code.

The way I do massive matching in massive data sets is to grab small
overlapping chunks of the word text and do matching within that chunk,
keeping track of the start char offsets so that I can calculate where
in the word text the phrase resides. Then I grab the next chunk and
repeat. The overlap is big enough to make sure that if a phrase crosses
a boundary, in one of the chunks it will be the whole phrase. I find
that breaking the word text into smaller chunks and doing all the
searches on each chunk speeds things up. Sorry I don't have time to
play with the example stack to run time tests to compare my technique
with those currently proposed.

Kee Nethery