The seconds problem - redefined

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Apr 15 10:14:02 EDT 2004

>I would use higher level stuff... do you ever really need to know
>the seconds passed since 1970 for a calendar app? If not, then no
>sense in messing with them. Store a date and a time, and manipulate
>them using dateItems. You can add minutes, hours, days, months,
>whatever you want there.

Brian, et al:

Storing dates as dateItems or seconds is all well & good...so long as
all the dates are within the current range of the centuryCutOff.

But try converting "1776,7,4,0,0,0,0" to any other xTalk date format
(without changing the centuryCutoff) and you will no longer have 4
July, 1776.

I agree with Sarah that Julian dates are the way to go.  I have
completed testing my Julian date routines in the process of testing a
biorhythm charter Yves Coppe & I are about to release.  They will be
included in the next release of Serendipity Library.

My Julian routines deal with minimum one-day increments; Mark
Wieder's routines manipulate times as well as dates.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company