Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 15 05:53:32 EDT 2004

>  > If I did need that (or need it in the future), then I could implement
>>  the text file solution just for the Prefs window. All the other
>>  Windows/Stacks can be saved as a normal RR stack. There are so many
>>  windows/stacks/controls that to save them all in as a text file would
>>  be unweildy I think.
>-------------
>NO, no, I don't think that's what folks are meaning to say.
>
>1) Stacks are files. They appear in windows, therefore the word "stack" and
>the word "window" are basically interchangeable, althought the syntax
>doesn't always allow for it. A standalone is what happens to a Main stack
>when you build the SA. It's actually the application because it contains the
>runtime engine, but most of us just make a splash out of it, with maybe some
>init routines. It's substacks become files full of stuff, whether GUI or
>data. That's really all there is to it.

Thanks for the explanation, I kind of knew this, but having it spelt
out like that really helped!

>2) The windows and controls don't go into a text file, just the associated
>values, i.e., whatever the controls generate, i.e., strings and numbers.
>Therefore, you assign values to the _states_ of your controls, and save them
>the same way. When you read them back into variables, they can now be used
>to govern the action, which is what you want to do (I assume).
>
>Makes sense?

Yes, and in another App it would make more sense to do it this way,
but for this particular App I think it's better to save it all in a
StackFile, since the user data is external anyway.

Thanks for your help
All the Best
Dave