file list anomaly

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 14 19:55:59 EDT 2004

I have an app in testing that obtains a list of files and uses
lineoffset to do a lookup.  I had some Windows users who were reporting
errors, but only a few.  I added logging and had them test some more and
looking through the logs it seems that on some systems the listing of
files was not returned in alphabetical order.

This was easy enough to fix with the sort command, but I'm curious:
what determines the order of files returned in "the files" on Win systems?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation