Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka Help!

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 14 18:14:27 EDT 2004

>David-
>
>Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 11:51:29 AM, you wrote:
>
>DB> Actually I've never used HyperCard! I'm a C/C++ programmer usually
>DB> but decided to take a RunRev sabbatical which I am (mostly) enjoying!
>
>Well, you can't do this at all in C/C++. Or in any other language.
>There's no way to modify a running application - it's an OS
>restriction rather than something built into any development
>environment. I know several others have said this, but it won't hurt
>to hammer it home. OS9 lets you get away with it, but it's an anomaly
>and RR enforces the ban to maintain cross-platform consistency.

I agree you can't modify a running app as such but you can do things
that make it look like you have modified it. I assumed that RunRev
was doing something like that.

It doesn't really matter as long as there is a way of doing it. I
have got a Test App that uses the Standalone/Stack model and that
seems to save ok which is great. I will move this over to the main
app tomorrow and hopefully should then be back in track.

>DB> I really like RR  the only critisism I have is the lack of
>DB> documentation on how to put all the pieces together. There are
>DB> command things that a lot of RR developers must want to do that just
>DB> don't seem to be covered. Either a document or a  sample Stack setup
>DB> with a separate Standalone and "data" stack as you describe would
>DB> have been of so much help.
>
>Agreed. I think an example should be at least in the docs, considering
>how often it comes up.
>
>Meanwhile check out Frederick Rinaldi's Preference Builder at:
>
>http://www.xcmdfactory.com/

Thanks for this Mark, I will take a look tomorrow.

All the Best
Dave