Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka Help!

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 14 11:16:55 EDT 2004

>I don't save stacks from a standalone.  In my opinion, it's just a bad idea.
>Mainly because when I update my product down the road, those stacks may
>become problematic because they will become out of date.  Instead, I save to
>a text file... Like a "preferences" file.
>
>I have a set of routines that will iterate through a group of objects saving
>the state of each control (buttons and fields).  When my app launches, I
>load the data from the text file into a global variable called gPrefs.

I thought about doing it using seperate text file(s), but  I have an
awful lot of Stacks/Cards/Controls to save. Would they all go into
separate files or could I use one big file?

Your point about issuing updates is well taken, under these
conditions though, I'd either delete the old Stack Files during the
installation process, or detect that they are out of date in the new
Vvrsion of the Standalone and delete them there (after issuing a
dialog telling the user what is happening).

Saving a standard stack file seems so much easier since you don't
have to add much code!!!

Thanks a lot for your help
Dave