Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka Help!

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 14 09:34:04 EDT 2004

Hi,

>I'm not a Revolution "pro", but hope this helps...
>
>  > 1 (& 2).  How do I get the Quit and Preferences Menu Items to work
>>  correctly on MacOS Classic and X?
>
>It took me a while to figure this one out... but, here's what works for me.
>Put this in the stack script of your main stack (of course change
>"someStack" to your stack's name):
>
>on appleEvent aeClass,aeID
>   if aeClass & aeID = "aevtpref" then
>     send "menuPick" && "Preferences..." to btn "Edit" of stack "someStack"
>   else if aeClass & aeID = "aevtquit" then
>     send "menuPick" && "Quit" to btn "File" of stack "someStack"
>   end if
>end appleEvent

Thanks a lot, I'll give this a try. But is there no document that
describes how to do this? Also why is the readme file wrong??

>This of course, will work in a standalone.
>
>>  If I then make a standalone (with the CheckBox initially unchecked)
>>  and then run it and then click the checkbox so it's checked and press
>>  OK, when I next load the Stack, should the Checkbox be on or off?
>
>It will be off.  In a standalone, this won't work -- you can't save a stack
>that is a standalone - period.  But, you can:
>
>(1) save and load the state of a checkbox (or other controls) - this is my
>personal preference.
>(2) have your standalone open a stack file.  Now it can be saved.

How do I handle this? Specifically how do I:

1)  Check if I am running as a Standalone or under the RunRev IDE.

2)  If running under the RunRev IDE, I take it I can save as I have
been doing, although it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I
execute a "save this stack" or not. In other words if I have one
checkbox in a stack, the state of that checkbox gets saved whether or
not I execute the "save stack" command. Is this the correct action?
How can I NOT save the stack (in this case because the Cancel button
was pressed).

3) If running as Standalone, I am guessing that I can issue a  "save
this stack as FilePathName" command which will save it into the File
Name and Path specified. But when the Standalone App is re-launched,
how do I use the contents of the saved stack as the current data.

Again, is any of the documented anywhere? It seems like such a common
thing to want to do.

Thanks a lot for any Help.
All the Best
Dave