CGI Form Example

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Apr 13 14:14:53 EDT 2004

On Apr 13, 2004, at 10:06 AM, Gregory Lypny wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Any examples out there on using Revolution as a CGI engine to process
> web forms?  And a related question: my crude understanding of the way
> that Revolution as a CGI works is that it does not understand controls
> (objects) per se, but can I have it communicate directly with open
> stacks in the usual way?  What I'm thinking of is a stack of student
> records.  The CGI would process the web form information, validate it,
> return a response to the user ("your information is correct,
> incorrect, missing, etc."), and then invoke a script in a regular
> stack that would update cards, delete them or create new ones.
> Alternatively, I imagine that the individual records could be stored
> in text files, but I prefer the stack set up.
>
> I have been using FileMaker 6 Unlimited for this purpose till now, but
> I don't think I can afford the $999 US upgrade to Version 7 Advanced,
> and, quite frankly, I don't think it's worth it.
>
> Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
>
> 	G.

Gregory,

there's more than way to do it. If you have your own apache running,
you could setup Revolution engine (MC) as a CGI and use LibCGI.
Querying forms is just a matter of accessing a global array, pretty
easy. If you don't have a server or would want to use a self-contained
solution, you could use my ServerWorkz plataform. It's a self-contained
framework made of three components:
	revHTTPd - A custom HTTPd server, thats the core thingy. I can handle
only one connection at a time, so for small business should be enought
but for heavy used portals I think it cannot handle (never tried to
stress test it, but it survived 1700 hits in 7 hours...)
	Inform2 - A suite of utilities that is able to do templating functions
and to automatic transport HTML formdata to Revolution fields inside
stacks, like for example suppose you accessed
/students/queryStudent?studentID=01  this, for the framework would be
like call que QueryStudent handler of the students stack, look for a
field studentID and fill it with 01. Yes, thats automatic, and field
filling is done before the handler calling, so for your app is just a
matter of working with fields and cards.
	Session management - that's our new puppet which is working fine, thru
a clever combination of cookies and custom URLs we can track a user
inside the server in a automatic way.

	The project is free for use and available from
http://public.soapdog.org  but like all humans, I must eat and study,
so if you like it I am able to receive donations from PayPal at the
address agarzia at mac.com

	For a glimpse on the server try accessing
http://home.soapdog.org:8081/  it's the serverworkz running at my home
machine! you might find it amusing, read all the about pages, it's the
best thing I can say!

	Cheers
	Andre

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004