How do I make a large scrolling window?

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 12 07:31:32 EDT 2004

Thanks to Bj?rnke von Gierke, Jim Lyons, Ken Norris and Steve Messimer for
their informative replies.

Because of you guys, I think I understand the principle now - I also think
it's a dreadful kludge. In effect you have to trick the IDE into helping
you, and clearly there are some difficulties in using a purely visual way
of placing objects, which is so easy for areas up to window-size. As a
future improvement, one can imagine a dialog box which asks how big you'd
like your scrolled area to be, and which then places the scrollbar(s) in
preparation for the developer filling the whole area by 'normal' means. But
at least it can be done. I certainly vote for some additional documentation
here, since the existing docs describe only the situation where a scrollbar
is redundant (the scrolled group being exactly the same size as the window
that displays it). I am not sure if all this should go in Bugzilla
(proposed improvements section).

Ken N, I would certainly appreciate a look at your demo: please do send it
to me off list.

Thanks again

Graham