Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Norman Winn norman at mrsystems.co.uk
Sun Apr 11 19:43:54 EDT 2004

Hi,

As the person originating this thread and considering moving from
Filemaker to RR I am aware that I must recreate my interface and set
about choosing, learning an SQL type database system.

My concerns in contemplating this move are:

1. Can I reproduce enough of my interface to satisfy my client?

2.  Can I solve my speed bottlenecks? This is not unrelated to (1) as,
if the client sees big speed improvements here, he is likely to be
tolerant of interface differences. In this respect, I think the
possibilities look very good.

3. Is there anything I cannot replicate with enough effort?

4. After the initial learning curve will my productivity be greater
than with competing tools?

5. As RR's scripting is proprietary it is most critical the company
stick around so my investment in time will not be lost. I cannot over
emphasise how important the activity and supportiveness of this list is
in providing reassurance.

The potential benefits of the effort are large. If I take on the
problems I have a solution that I own i.e. no runtime licences, that I
can sculpt in myriad fashions not available in FM. I have
data/interface separation. The solution is useable over WANs. I believe
I get live backups with the right DB. I have better version control and
more fluid update procedure ...

Norman Winn