Typing in field grinds to near halt

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Apr 11 13:04:47 EDT 2004

Well I have yet to do a long typing test, but if the player is set to a
QT movie, as soon as I open the stack my CPU activity monitor peaks out
completely... and this is on a G4 with 1Gig Ram. It drops back to about
half, but then as asoon as I start typing in the field with a fairly
normal speed, something strange happens: the CPU monitor starts jumping
up to 75% usage... just as a result of typing...if I do something silly
like paste huge chunks of text over and over again into the field, i
can get the CPU monitor to peak right out, full. but, I'm not able to
emulate failure to update the field as I type... it remains fully
responsive, inserting text as fast as I can type.

meanwhile the user who complained of a slow down has a G4 with only 512
K RAM... I asked him simply to quit the application and re-open it...
the slow down went away.

The QT audio file that is being play by the player is a 64 megabyte