Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Apr 9 21:34:37 EDT 2004

> That's really not much of an answer, and that is one thing that
> continues to
> strike me about Rev database access discussions. They seem quite
> shallow and
> unrealistic.
>
> All the multi-user record locking etc is built into Filemaker, it is
> robust
> and easy to use. Even so, there is a long range of subtle issues that
> come
> up in developer conversations all the time. Some are Filemaker
> specific,
> some are generic to handling and updating datasets.

That's because FileMaker is an end-user database. Rev is a developer
tool with database connectivity. The former consolidates all you need
to know about databases into one product. The latter requires you to be
proficient with MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, or whatever your back-end is.
Record locking is not the same in different RDBMS, and if you want to
implement it yourself then you will need to research techniques and
implement them. There's no "ON" button for it, because MySQL/etc is not
a part of Rev.

If you are going to make the transition from FileMaker to Rev, there is
going to be a serious database engine learning curve. While this list
is very responsive, it's definitely not the best place to learn about
RDBMS.

> I know that you're not claiming that your responses are the definitive
> answer on Rev multi-user database access. But what IS the source for
> that
> information?

This list is the source of information on scripting applications in
Rev; however, you'll need to have a firm grasp on your database engine
of choice as well, and that you won't find here.

I would start by picking a back-end, and figuring out what features it
has. Then consult the list with a specific question. For example,
"MySQL doesn't do row level record locking, how can I implement it in
Transcript in my application".

> Rev may be great for multi-user database access. And perhaps many
> people may
> have these issues worked out.
>
> But the answers I've seen so far are sort of like asking how do I win
> the
> Indy 500? Oh, you just get in and turn the  key.
>
> There is a LOT more to it than that.

Indeed, but I think that's because people are merely suggesting
approaches. It's beyond the scope of this list to show you how to
replicate all of FileMaker in Rev.

Personally, I think Rev is great for database access, and it can
certainly do more than FileMaker, but it will in fact do a lot less
"out of the box". If you're looking for a complete roadmap, it ain't
here. But there are many experts in Transcript and a few in RDBMS here
that can help you piece by piece.

I think you'll find your mileage is even less in other systems- try
picking up PHP web apps straight from FileMaker! But once you get over
a few hurdles and get acclimated, you'll have a lot of power at your
fingertips.

HTH,
Brian