Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Bruce Robertson bfr at nwlink.com
Fri Apr 9 01:55:01 EDT 2004

> well multiple users accessing a database in a single tier enviroment
> are realy matter of the RDBMS, if you settle for multi-tier then it's
> easy to program it's logic.

That's really not much of an answer, and that is one thing that continues to
strike me about Rev database access discussions. They seem quite shallow and
unrealistic.

All the multi-user record locking etc is built into Filemaker, it is robust
and easy to use. Even so, there is a long range of subtle issues that come
up in developer conversations all the time. Some are Filemaker specific,
some are generic to handling and updating datasets.

I know that you're not claiming that your responses are the definitive
answer on Rev multi-user database access. But what IS the source for that
information?

Rev may be great for multi-user database access. And perhaps many people may
have these issues worked out.

But the answers I've seen so far are sort of like asking how do I win the
Indy 500? Oh, you just get in and turn the  key.

There is a LOT more to it than that.