Using a field list to act as variables?

Cubist at aol.com Cubist at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 18:59:51 EDT 2004

sez gbojsza at mac.com:
>I am experimenting with the following and was hoping someone can tell
>me why it doesn't work...
>
>I have a field nOribit with 3 lines
>
>yt1
>yt2
>yt3
>
>on mouseUp
>put empty into tSolar
>repeat for each line L in field "nOrbit"
>put L & cr after tSolar
>end repeat
>delete last char of tSolar
>
>put "1,2,3" into yt1
>put "4,5,6,7" into yt2
>put "9,8,7" into yt3
>
>put tSolar  -- this gives yt1,yt2,yt3 and not the values
>
>if I do the following
>
>put yt1 & cr & yt2 & cr & yt3 into tSolar
>
>put tSolar -- this gives the values
>
>Yes, I know that an array would work but I'm trying to understand if
>there is a way for the above to work.
   Marttin Baxter's solution looks like it should work, but just in case
you're curious, here's why you had the problem in the first place: In your first
attempt, Rev believes that "yt1" & etc are just generic character strings that
you're pouring into the variable tSolar; Rev has no clue that those strings
are supposed to be the names of variables. Granted, you later use those strings
*as* variable names, but that later act does not alter the contents of tSolar.
   In your second attempt, Rev knows right from the start that you're playing
with variables, thus you get the result you want.
   Hope this helps...