Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Apr 8 09:26:29 EDT 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 7:24 AM, Norman Winn wrote:

> 1) Current solution has about 15 users accessing stuff from FM server.
> 2) Solution is not web enabled. This ability would be handy. Are RR
> stacks inherently web ready? I suspect not.

Norman,

trying to answer you questions =)

well multiple users accessing a database in a single tier enviroment
are realy matter of the RDBMS, if you settle for multi-tier then it's
easy to program it's logic.

about issue two, I *hate* to disapoint you but there's nothing more web
ready than Revolution! =)

yes, there are tons of stacks that are web ready, and for a glimpse
into the future and the endless possibilities of our net-savvy
Revolution, try looking at my home server at
http://home.soapdog.org:8081/

It's a http Server, a DB enviroment and development framework, all them
built in pure Transcript. All apps are stacks running in the server,
when you access for example the /about url you are accesssing about
substack, and they are all web enabled. My development framework
features automatic data transportation from web enviroment (GET and
POST form data, XML-RPC...) to Revolution enviroment, I've got a cool
utilities suite that's able to convert simple field based revolution
windows to HTML Forms on the fly and take care of all the data
transportation. With this framework I delivered many solutions, all web
based, from custom sites like shopping carts, to apps that at the first
look share nothing with the web like chat apps (but the chat app uses
HTTP as protocol for chat...)

We have powerfull resources to mix web stuff with rev, I just applied
my personal vision to them, but many here got different experiences.
Thats just possible for Rev makes very very easy to use anything
web-savvy. I urge you to take a quick look at my server and also on
project LibCGI (which is an inspiration for me).

Also many standalone software here got a 'Check for updates' feature
that will use HTTP as their protocol.

I do think that you're trying to create a conduit to your DB, so that
users could access it from a browser interface. I've got some examples
of that on my home server. I've got a little user database there, you
can access it to see users, edit them or add them. It has only 10 lines
of code, everything is handled by my framework, it will take care of
generating the forms on the fly, will match form fields with revolution
fields, will trigger the 'saving' routine after submit button is
pressed. It's a little tech demo.

Don't be so pessimistic (does this word exist in english?), we can do a
revolution togheter, Revolution can do web in a very high level way,
leaving you to ponder about the logic of your program, we've got many
experiences and code to share. You can to DB with Rev, you can pipe
your DB to the Web on the fly. You could use my code, you could hire me
for the job of custom stack development, you could write your own code
(it's not that difficult), if you plan to use static web site, with no
interaction, just to browse the DB  you always have Fourth World
(http://www.fourthworld.com) WebMerge app, that will take a DB and
generate static HTML for it.

As they say, let there be options!

Cheers