Relative Paths

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 7 21:37:08 EDT 2004

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 06:57 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> With the ease of adding extensibility to Rev-based apps (through
>> external media, plugins, etc.) it may be worthwhile exploring ways to
>> make it consistently easy to deliver multi-platform apps in the form
>> so many major vendors do.
>

> This may depend on whether one thinks of something as a drop-in plug-in
> or an integral part of the app.

For these distinctions I just follow the big boys:  in Adobe apps (and
others) non-optional/non-user-modifiable elements are in a folder
labelled "Components", while in a great many applications
optional/user-modifiable elements go in a folder named "Plug-ins" ('cept
in Rev and a few others, where it's "Plugins").

A note of interest for curmudgeons:  I took a poll here among users to
see whether "Plugins" or the more grammatically-correct "Plug-ins" was
preferred, and the response was overwhelmingly in favor of "Plugins".
I'm generally a go-with-the-crowd-if-it-doesn't-hurt-anyone kinda guy,
but since I see more apps with "Plug-ins" than "Plugins" I wonder if
it's worth suggesting we revert back to simple good grammer.

A note for really extreme curmudgeons:  The whole plug-in craze was
popularized by Adobe Photoshop, yet they appear in the UI in a menu
named "Filters".  This rather raises the question of why they just don't
call 'em filters.  When I add plug-ins to WebMerge I bypassed the whole
"plug-ins" vs. "plugins" issue by naming the folder to match the name of
the menu they appear in: "Tools", and in the documentation they are
referred to as "plug-in tools".

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation