Relative Paths

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Apr 7 19:22:41 EDT 2004

> I am a bit confused.  How does one create applications that can
> be used in the IDE on multiple platforms without relative paths.
> When I add a satck file to the the stackFiles property (in the
> property explorer) the fully qualified path is used.  When I copy
> the stack to another platform the path (something like
> "/Users/me/src/transcript/common/xxx.rev") will not function.
> Please someone explain how this is supposed to work?

Hi Kevin

This comes down to a simple feature request for the IDE when setting
stackFiles to do something like this:

set the itemDel to "/"
put item 1 to -2 of the effective filename of this stack&"/" into tPath
if char 1 to length(tPath) of tStackFile = tPath then
  delete char 1 to length(tPath) of tStackFile
end if

You might what to add this to bugzilla as an enhancement.

Two things to note:
 1 - the new standalone builder finds all referenced stackfiles and includes
them in a build so using the stakcFiles propery is a good way to go.
 2 - to launch substacks (using a stackFile reference) when you haven't
launced the mainstack of a stackfile you need a stackFiles property that
countains references to the substacks. Like this:

 - stackfile has mainstack m1 and substack s1 and is in a folder data and
file sf.rev
 - application mainstack has stackfiles property like this:
   m1,data/sf.rev
   s1,data/sf.rev

So perhaps the feature request should include both relative path and
referencing of all stacks in the stackFile.

Cheers

Monte