Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 15:46:26 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, April 6, 2004, at 10:12  AM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

>>> 3. Are there functions, plug-ins, tool-sets to handle complex
>>> relationships, entity diagrams, data validation?
>>
>> Can't help on that for I do not understand what you're meaning... =/
>
> Those are all very basic database terms. The fact that they are
> unfamiliar
> and do not appear much in Rev database discussions suggests that the
> state
> of affairs in Rev database management is not very robust.

Hi,

There are basic functions but there are much more powerful ways to work
with RR as the front end with powerful databases as the back end. I
prefer using SQL calls directly to the Valentina database using my own
custom cursor calls. This requires a familiarity with Valentina. I
create my own validation systems for the needs of the data being
processed and the user. If I wanted to use Filemaker on the internet I
would probably use Lasso or Filemaker's own smaller markup language. I
use Valentina for speed, XML handling, and for the freedom to customize
a standalone application. I started using Valentina with Director; it's
a dream with RR compared to that. RR is the best I could find for the
front end and Valentina is the best for the back end for my needs.

just my2cents...

Mark