How do I use a Tabbed Button???

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 6 11:38:01 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Well I got my Tabbed Button Stack up and running! Many thanks to all
those who helped!

In the end I decided to use seperate cards and a shared background
object - works fine - Except (why is there always *something*??!!):

One of the fields that is in the Common Group is a Numeric Text Field
with a number associated with it. The user can change this field by
typing into it or they can increment/decrement it using an Arrow
control. However, each Card has it's own value for this field, so
switching between tabs loses the value.

For example, on tab 1 if the user sets the value to 5 and then
selects tab 2, the value changes to blank.

How can I maintain just one value for this field?

I am using a Library Object to increment/decrement the field and this
calls the closeField handler for the field in question. Could I do
something there. Will this work if the user types in a number?

I was thinking that I could copy the current value into a Global, and
then in the preOpenCard handler move the Global onto the field. But
this won't work the first time. I suppose I could set up the Global
in the preOpenStack handler.

One other thing is that this is a Numeric Only field, and if the user
tries to enter non-numeric characters into it, I want to beep and
throw away the bad characters.

Not sure what the best way to do this is? I am playing around now!

All the Best
Dave