Another Area For Document Development

Dave Calkins davecalk at surfbest.net
Mon Apr 5 06:38:20 EDT 2004

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have created a "Tabbed Button" and I'm now trying to figure out
>>> how to use it!
>>
>> :-)
>>
>>> I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere, could
>>> someone point me in the right direction please?
>>
>> It is somewhere in the dox, but i did not find it yet ;-)
>>
>>> I just want a number of tabs running across the top of the window
>>> with a number of controls in each Tab.

> Subject: Re: How do I use a Tabbed Button???
> To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> I can send you an attachment off list  coverng all the areas that you
> cover
> in .  Let me know if you  want me to know by sending me an email
> offlist at
> pgilmartin at ermventures.net

Hi Guys,
I have been thinking about this one for a while too, sorry to harp
about the documentation again, but this is another area that I feel is
kind of weak. The above question highlights the one other major area
where the documentation is very weak.

The documentation is excellent when it comes to the textual aspects of
the individual elements that make up the transcript programing
language. What it is missing is information about how to take those
elements and put them together, to be able to see how to develop the
more common elements that are found in most programs. The documents
need to discuss and show how to take all of the individual details or
elements that are found in the present documents and be able to see how
to put them together into some of the more common program elements or
interfaces.

Let me give examples of what I mean.

I did a search for "Tab Button" in the Document Search Engine, no such
entry was found. This shows part of the basic problem. Why is a very
common data selection method like this not even mentioned. A simple
discussion about how to implement "Tab Buttons" should be addressed in
the documents.

There are many broad topics that are common to most programs. How to
implement them with RR should be something that is addressed in the
documents. Using simple tutorials for the most common usages of program
interfaces as well as for the most common types of programs RR is aimed
at is a must. They should give step by step examples with screen shots,
etc. for these most basic elements; elements RR can able to run circles
around other programing tools.

The following are elements or topics the documentation should address.
New Rev programers need to see examples of how to implement the
following in RR....

Using tap buttons, developing a simple database structure (not a
stack), accessing that simple database, developing a simple web
management / browser, using images, using arrays, the list could go on.

Doing a search on each of these topics will reveal "nothing found" in
many instances, to at most a simple one card definition. There is very
little information that will help beginners to begin developing
programs that deal with these common interfaces and applications. The
tools are there in Rev to create these interfaces and applications
fairly simply. Part of the problem is that there is so much highly
detailed information in the documents about the elements of the engine,
the tools that we use to make a program work, but there is hardly any
information about how to take those elements and put them together to
make them do something that we want. (develop a database, access /
transmit data over the web, etc.) That is why so many people are asking
these same questions over and over again on this forum. (By the way,
you guys are great about sharing information with folks and attempting
to answer / solve peoples questions.)

Giving examples on how to do these common things with Rev will do
several things.
1. It will helps people to help themselves. They will have samples
which they can work through and experiment with. It gives them terms
that they then can look up in the dictionary, etc. They can see how the
elements, (field, variables, properties, etc.) work together to access
a database. How many questions do you see on how to build a menu? Not
many because folks can work through the tutorial and play with it and
develop an understanding of how it works in rev. Then they apply it to
there own applications.

2. It would help keep the old pros from burning out here on the this
forum. They don't have to keep answering the same type of question over
and over again. This can become frustrating because new folks are
always come in. There is nothing in the docs to compare their own work
to and so they ask for guidance here. I am truly amazed by how hard you
guys work at helping others solve their code issues. This is rare and
is an example of how dedicated people are to seeing RR succeed.

3. It would free up a great deal of time and energy toward being able
to explore more complex issues of getting Rev to work in other areas.
It would allow more thought to go into wanted / needed features. It
would also help develop working solutions, not only for problem areas
within the rev environment, but for new market areas for which RR
applications could be the ideal solution. Having to spend less time
helping users figure out how to do the typical things that interfaces
and / or applications do would greatly help this forum delve a lot
deeper into RR. That's good for all of us.

The documentation as it is right now is like having an excellent
dictionary that defines all of the words. There are descriptions of
nouns, verbs, and pronouns, there are examples of how they work, and
you can even find a bit of information on how to put the sentences
together, but there is very little is information provided on how to
actually write the story. What are the common elements that every story
writer needs in order to be able to develop his ideas? I'm not asking
the write my story, but I do need to see examples of the most common
elements that every writer uses to create a masterpiece.

If you give examples / tutorials in these broadly used areas you will
give people the tools to use Revolution to solve their own problems. By
the going through the examples that you given in the docs, they will be
able to learn the techniques they need and will see how to apply them
to their own applications. By reading the documents as they presently
are, I can see the vast tools that are in Rev to create a database, I
just can't see how actually to put them together to make it work.
Having these common examples in the documentation will help me and
every other RR user see how deal with these issues in on our own; it
will help make each of us stronger programers; as well as will help
make this forum much stronger in the long run. The documents still will
need to add to the visual, and kinesthetic aspects in order to be truly
powerful tool for everyone.

I am not asking the documentation to get into advanced levels and
details which apply to these areas. Advanced design issues can and
should be addressed on this forum, in books like Dans ebooks, and on
various web sites.

I have listed several areas that I feel would be beneficial to most new
users as they are learning how to apply RR to there projects. Adding
these to the documentation would give most people a starting place,
which they can then adapt their specific applications.

Using tap buttons, developing a simple database, developing simple web
management / browser, using images, using arrays....
These are topics that I think need to be addressed in the documents.
People should not have to ask the forum general questions about how to
add and work with tab buttons.

Thoughts?

What other general areas and topics should be addressed in the
documents?

I'll post this to both lists, because I think it is relevant to both
groups.
Dave Calkins