Question about Linux Builder Requirements

John Rule johnrule at rcsprogramming.com
Sat Apr 3 18:28:55 EST 2004

Marc,

> That may be related to Windows and MacOS using a different windowing
> system than X, which is "client-server".

No, it was related to a 'mouseMove' handler that just didn't work in Linux.
I was able to work around it though...

> I would expect the working directory to be the "Default Folder".

No, it returns the current 'login' user folder (for me it is '/root'...it
should be '/root/MetaCard/'). This was the same in Mandrake RedHat, KDE and
Gnome.

> Broadcasting (always) depends on the network settings/network hardware
setup.

Not 'Global' broadcasting for Linux. Handlers that I use on Windows and Mac
work fine for 'Global' broadcasting...they do not work on Linux because
Linux does not allow 'Global' broadcasting. Apparently (more like
supposedly) you must re-compile the kernel with low level modifications.

> Unix (Linux) "loves" Spaces, but they have to be backslash-escaped if
> you use shell tools.

My comments are centered around the understanding that I am working from the
RunRev environment...Linux itself may 'love' spaces, but the RunRev (MC 2.5
engine) file dialog does not (returns an error). The only work around is to
NOT have spaces in your file names...folder names with spaces works fine.

> [Support for TrueType] This surely isn't a problem of Revolution/RunRev:

Yes, it definitely is. TrueType fonts that I have installed myself show up
in other application like OpenOffice, Gimp, etc. (and some 'do' show up in
the font menu for the RunRev/MC engine), but they have no affect on text in
RunRev/MC other than 'italic' style (and 'italic' selects 'plain' for the
TrueType font selected). They work fine in all other apps...

> It is possible that calls for font rendering  inside the Revolution engine
is not up-to-date but would not call this a bug.

I never called it a bug...

I am not sure why you have responded to this since you have not even been
able to run your stand-alones in Linux yet...were you basing your comments
on general Linux experience, or just 'theory'?

JR

> Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 17:25:31 -0100
> From: "A.C.T." <albrecht at act-net.com>
> Subject: Re: Question about Linux Builder Requirements
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Hi, John,
>
> thanks for your list, perhaps I can help - without having a "running
> Revolution application" on Linux yet - getting some issues solved:
>
> > - Some very strange window behavior...things that work on Mac and
Windows
> > don't work on Linux (some custom 'drag' handlers did not work, and
> > decorations had a trick to it).
>
> That may be related to Windows and MacOS using a different windowing
> system than X, which is "client-server". I guess these issues would have
> to be solved on Revolution's site, but I can imagine it could be quite
> tricky.
>
> > - You need to watch your file names (Linux does not like 'Spaces'), but
it
> > seems to be OK with folders.
>
> Unix (Linux) "loves" Spaces, but they have to be backslash-escaped if
> you use shell tools. I don't know how Revolution accesses files, if it
> uses system calls like "fopen" etc, spaces definately would be no
> problem. Perhaps there is a bug inside the filehandling in Revolution
> leading to a wrong escaping on Linux but the correct escaping on Mac and
> Windows. Information about how file access is being done inside the
> engine would help here.
>
> > - The 'defaultFolder' is not what you expect, so you just parse the
current
> > stack name to get the current directory.
>
> I would expect the working directory to be the "Default Folder". WD
> depends on what is set as WD inside the shell session you are in. I can
> only guess here (I currently do not have a working Revolution app under
> Linux), but you could try doing a "cd your-default-directory" during
> startup of your stack, I would expect this to lead to the needed behaviour
.

> > - Sockets work fine except for broadcasting (not related to Revolution).
>
> Broadcasting (always) depends on the network settings/network hardware
> setup. Broadcast has to be handled with care as it can lead to routing
> problems. One could do a tracking about networking setup being done by
> Revolution - or such information could be given by RunRev.
>
> > - No icon support for your stand-alone other than what Gnome or KDE
> > provides.
>
> This has to be resolved by RunRev. Windowing systems like Gnome and KDE
> do offer "personal" icons, perhaps there is a bug in the app builder?
>
> > - Fonts are very minimal, and there doesn't seem to be support for
TrueType.