Question about Linux Builder Requirements

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 3 16:09:53 EST 2004

John Rule wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I have not used the Revolution builder, but I have used the latest MetaCard
> builder (same under the hood though). I am using RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9,
> and I have had very good success (not excellent however). Building the
> '.bin' file should result in a double clickable stand-alone, although I had
> to change the preferences for the file to 'executable' (or something to that
> effect). Here are my personal observations:
> - No icon support for your stand-alone other than what Gnome or KDE
> provides.

My very limited understanding of the various window managers is that
each provides its own mechanism for the essential basics:

- app icon
- document icon
- app/doc association
- adding an item to the Start menu

Questions:

1. How does one automate these basic essentials when making an installer
for Linux?

2. Are these mechanisms really different from window manager to window
manager?  If so, have these various groups (GNOME, KDE, etc.) started
work on a universal mechanism for these things?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation