OT Backup

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Fri Apr 2 19:58:29 EST 2004

>> What hardware would you suggest for this backup array and what
>> software & OS
>> to drive the system? Also needs to allow for expansion since these
>> projects
>> look to be ongoing.

 From what I hear, the Apple Xserve RAID box is a wonderful thing (even
if you are not using macs). From what I've seen, it has all the
reliability that you could hope for. It is essentially an external hard
drive and you can hook it up to several servers simultaneously
(including Xserves, Linux, Windows, etc).

If you are going to have offsite backup, you are going to need a second
server with an equal amount of disk storage. One at home and one
elsewhere. Given the amount of data you'll be changing on a daily
basis, the question you need to ask yourself is what is the purpose of
the offsite storage.

if your goal is to have the data survive a fire or theft, then you
might want to consider installing your backup server in a neighbors
home next door to you and just run a cable between your homes. They get
free high speed internet access, you get a backup site.

if your goal is to have others able to access the data even if your
network connection goes down, then you need a colo. You probably do not
need to have the offsite server as a RAID but it does need to be the
same amount of disk space. Chances are you would need to see what is
the maximum number of drives you can fit into one server and given the
maximum drive size, see if that will meet your needs. If not, buy a
second Xserve RAID.

As for replication, if I was doing this, there is a unix utility that
does file syncing (I forget what it is called) and when you change and
close a file, it will automatically move it to the remote server. We
use it on Macs and on Linux servers.

Good luck. Terabytes are not cheap.

Kee Nethery