external program interface on windows

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Apr 2 09:11:06 EST 2004

Hi Paul,

> Hello,
>
> I need to find out about interfacing to non-RR programs on a Windows
> machine. There are programs running I need to get data from, and I can
> add a
> function to them to provide the data, but I don't know if I can call
> it from
> RR. I suppose I could write the data periodically to a file and read
> it with
> RR, but that is a little messy and I would need to single thread the
> file
> access somehow (all of my previous experience is on Unix, not Windows,
> so
> this is all new to me). I could go through a database manager like
> MySQL,
> but that is overkill for what I want.

There was once an "External Collection", which can still be found here:
http://www.xworlds.com/metacard/

That supports DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) on Windows, and that might be
exactly
what you are looking for, although i do not have the slightest idea how
that works :-)

The collection is supposed to be free nowadays and you should contact
RR to get
a free license key...

> I can't find much on this topic in the RR documentation or in Dan's
> book.
> Can anyone tell me where to look for instructions or examples? Thanks.

Hope that helps...

> -Paul

You are very generous with empty lines ;-)

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
www.major-k.de