Does SharedText work?

Graham graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 30 04:36:00 EDT 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:53:09 -0700, Dan Shafer <dan at shafermedia.com> wrote:

>Graham asked:
>
> > I have just such a field in a group and I suppose I've set its
> > SharedText
> > to true by checking the 'share text' box in the Property Inspector for
> > the
> > field (while editing the group); but I find that if I alter that
> > field's
> > text on one card (again while editing the group) only the card I
> > happen to
> > be showing is affected - the others keep the text they had before.
> >
>Just a possibility, but something I know I've done wrong more than
>once. Are you making sure that after you change the text, you tab or
>click out of that field before going to the next card to check the
>update?

Thanks for thinking of this Don - the explanation was even more painfully
simple: I had misunderstood how the whole thing (shared text and
'backgrounds') works in RunRev. The fact is that if you create a stack with
one card and put a group on it with a field within the group whose
SharedText property is set to true, then when you create another card in
that stack, the exact same group (with the same ID) appears on the new
card. A field within this group is the one whose text gets shared.

What I had done, OTOH, was to create a stack with several cards in it, and
**later** I created a group on the first card. Then I copied and pasted
this group to the other cards in the stack. This turns out to be entirely
different from the above example - each pasted group has its own ID and is
unrelated to its brothers apart from having the same name. I should have
**placed** the group to get the effect I wanted. I have to admit this is
all in the docs but I never had to understand it before, so I just made a
wrong assumption. Doh.

Graham