OT: Selecting text using REGEX

Martin Steer martin at pixelmedia.com.au
Sun Sep 28 21:29:01 EDT 2003

>> I believe you it's faster in this case, but regex is usually faster
>> than one might think. It is after all calling an optimized C library
>> to do all the work :-)

RegEx is more about an optimised C library, but for Rev itself, I get
the impression that it's more about the optimised data structures in
RAM that Revolution comprises it's objects of?

I've come to the conclusion that pretty much everything in Rev is a
hash table, stacks, cards, buttons, properties, etc. Hence the loading
times when you first start using stacks and objects as it loads them
into RAM and the speed you get afterwards from the building of the nice
fast data structures of the objects. For string variables it probably
has hash indices behind the scenes that allow for speedy chunk
expressions and text manipulation which, depending on circumstances (or
algorithms), could be faster than RegEx.

This is just my guess at how Rev works based on my experience with it,
so please correct me if I'm wrong... better still, tell me if I'm
right! :) hehe...

Cheers,

Marty Steer
martin at pixelmedia.com.au