Selecting text using REGEX

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Sun Sep 28 13:51:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 09:55  AM, Mark Brownell wrote:

> There is probably a regEx way but I have found that this tends to be
> faster in most speed tests.

I believe you it's faster in this case, but regex is usually faster
than one might think. It is after all calling an optimized C library to
do all the work :-)

Here are two trim whitespace functions that had written. To my surprise
the regex variant is way, way faster!

--
-- regex method
--

--
-- non regex method

on startup
  -- prepare list of characters to be used by trim()
  -- CRLF = ascii 13+10
  put tab & space & CRLF into lWhitespaceChars
end startup

function trim pText
   repeat while char 1 of pText is in lWhitespaceChars
     delete char 1 of pText
   end repeat
   repeat while char -1 of pText is in lWhitespaceChars
     delete char -1 of pText
   end repeat
   return pText
end trim