Saving encrypted customProperties outside the app?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Sep 26 14:16:02 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 10:51  AM, Alex Rice wrote:
> I read somewhere that the Rev password mechanism uses an encryption
> scheme that only works with text. I wonder why? Anyways I guess that's
> why it skips custom properties but encrypts scripts. Does it encrypt
> custom properties that are textual? I guess it would *have to* to
> otherwise fld text properties and control script properties would not
> get encrypted at all.

Hmm... maybe it's time to reexamine assumptions here. Or maybe I'm
confused. I did some testing and it appears to me both textual and
binary custom properties are encrypted- so there is no need to
base64encode stuff and put it into another custom property.

-- create test stack
set the uTextProp of this stack to "hello world"
set the uBinProp of this stack to the md5digest of "hello world"
-- save stack as test.rev
-- look at test.rev in Emacs:
-- See the following text, which shows both custom properties and their
values. The value for uBinProp  is mostly the same characters that are
displayed in the properties inspector in Rev- so we are seeing both of
the custom properties unencrypted:
-- uTextProp

-- now try encrypting the stack
set the password of this stack to "something"
-- save stack
-- look at test.rev in Emacs
-- See what appears to be encrypted content for both the text property
and the binary property:
-- ÕÁˇtŸ<¶≠Â

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com