Saving encrypted customProperties outside the app?

Robert Hyde net_contacts at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 11:22:01 EDT 2003

Hello!

I am working on an app that stores a large amount of information in
customproperties, since they are easily and logically accessible as well as
extremely fast.  This information is stored outside the app itself so that
various data files can be created and so that the app can auto-save the
user's work every 5/10/20/30 minutes per the user's choice.  Currently I
accomplish this by copying the current custompropertyset to a substack, then
clone that substack and save it as a file.  When the user wants to open that
data, it opens the saved substack clone, copies in the custompropertyset,
and it is done.

The problem comes in when I want to add security to it, since the user may
be typing up sensitive data...  Only the user that saved the data should be
able to open it, even from Rev.  Even when you add a password in the code or
via the distribution builder, the custompropertyset information is not
encrypted, just the code itself.  So anyone can open that cloned substack
within rev and see what is in the custompropertyset, even if they may not
know exactly how to translate it.  I played with adding a script to
preOpenStack that asks for a password and checks it against one saved within
the stack, but in Rev you can just suppress messages and preOpenStack
doesn't fire, so it leaves the file wide open.

I know that I could just save that data as a substack within the app, and
the distribution builder would keep that invisible within the .exe, but the
user needs to be able to save to a separate data file.

I think that I could just save the custompropertyset as its own file, I have
seen examples of saving arrays to a file, saving just about everything to a
file, but then there is no way to require a password, so it could be opened
within Rev, and that does not solve my problem.

So does anyone know of a good way to save custompropertyset information in a
data file separate from the app itself in such a way that it would require
something akin to a password to get to it even within Rev?  I may be
overlooking something painfully obvious, but I just can't think of anything.
  Is there a way to store that data within a stack that cannot be viewed
from the properties page?  I really appreciate any suggestions at all.
Thanks!

Robert