SUMMARY: Re: Fun project but fuzzy on logic. "PhoneCALLs"

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Sep 26 10:05:01 EDT 2003

>We talked about how to delete the resulting PhoneCALLs that couldn't
>possibly make sense.

Andy, et al:

I personally think (and therefore challenge others to prove me wrong)
that a generalized algorithm for determining whether a character
string is a "real" word is an impossible dream.  Here's one reason
why:  In 1600, "foole" and "bee" were correct spellings; 400 years
later "fool" & "be" are the correct spellings.

So long as the language continues to change dynamically, how can one
algorithm cover all possibilities for all time?

Can anyone point to a spell check app that does NOT use a
"dictionary" to determine what spelling is correct?

--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company