automatic database query

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Sep 24 00:39:00 EDT 2003

I've been playing around with the Database Query Builder and the
Database properties of fields and buttons. OK! It's easy to understand,
nice UI, runs fast. I'm connecting to a remote MySQL server via SSL.

One thing that I can't figure out though:

Can the SQL query (as specified in the Database Query Builder) be
parameterized? I understand the primary key is parameterized as you can
connect buttons up to navigate between records. But what about
parameterizing by non-primary key columns? For example: things like
putting a search term into a LIKE query, or putting a foreign key into
a JOIN query.

Macromedia Dreamweaver has the ability to fill in variables into a SQL
query. So you can use URL variables, POST variables, or environment
variable and evaluate them into the SQL query before the query is
executed.

If the Database Query Builder doesn't support this, how can I safely
modify the query via my own script at runtime?

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com