QT Player only?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 10:17:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:39:43 -0600, Barry Levine <themacguy at macosx.com> wrote:
At 9:55 -0400 23/9/03, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

>Well, I guess someone wanted to know about how to -avoid- loading
>QuickTime but, frankly, with all of QT's capabilities and control, why
>would you not want it? Seems to me that the only reason to (use a "vc")
>and (-not- load QuickTime) is to say you did it. Note the "and".

The issue can be a straightforward one about a user community. A
typical user scenario for me is a small school with PCs only (no
Macs) and no dedicated IT technician and maybe not even broadband
Internet access. Selling these guys software and then telling them
they have to download something from the Internet to make it work is
bad news - and distribution of QT on CD by the software publisher
involves them (I believe) in fairly onerous agreements with Apple
(like agreeing to distribute updates). So people resist it. I love
QT, but I have had to back off using it in this environment.

Graham