Automatic database queries & SQL Server or Access

Jay Madren jmadren at triad.rr.com
Sat Sep 20 22:32:01 EDT 2003

I submitted the following on bugzilla back at the beginning of September (bug # 511), but they haven't even been able to test and confirm it yet (as you can see if you read the history on bugzilla).  Can anyone here that runs on Windows confirm this bug for me?  I run Windows 2000, and I tried it on another Windows 2000 machine with the same results.  I don't have access to any other Windows machines on which I could load RR and test this.  Below is a copy of my initial bug submission.  You don't have to have SQL Server to test this, only Access, since either one (using ODBC) resulted in the same problem.

<begin bug description>

I am having difficulty getting automatic database queries to work correctly. I'm using ODBC to a SQL Server database (though I've tried Access too with the same results).  I can connect to the database, but it will not display a list of the tables on the Record Set tab.  But I can still manually type in a query and it works, BUT only if the query returns only one record.  If I enter a query that returns more than one record, RR "goes out to lunch" and never responds (CPU usage is maxed out for the revolution.exe process in Task Manager).  I wind up having to kill the process.

Note that I can use the revDataFromQuery function in the Message Box to retrieve records (thousands of them) without a problem.  I can also use revQueryDatabase with the same query and I get a record set ID back without any problems.  I have successfully coded this on a card to populate a field (table) and it works just fine.  But it will not work using automatic database queries that return more than one record.

<end bug description>

Thanks,
Jay Madren