Pros and cons of where to store image data

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat Sep 20 10:12:00 EDT 2003

Hi Barry and Ken,

> Ken,
>
> My app runs on OSX and XP (probably other Windows, as well). I haven't
> compiled
> it for OS9 yet but I know it will work there, as well.
>
> I use a QT Player object for referencing ".mov" and ".wav" files. Now,
> I know that may seem
> like a bizarre combination but I remember reading somewhere that
> Windows likes ".wav" files
> better than ".aiff".

You're almost right ;-)

Windows ONLY:

When NOT using QT, RR can play UNCOMPRESSED AIFF and WAV and
(compressed) AU with
"play ac xxx"...(using some very low system routines, if i remember
right...)

When using QT every format supported by QT can be played inside a
player on Mac and Win.

Can some *nix please give me some info about usable audio/video format
on Linux/Unix?
Thanks in advance...

Is there a QT for *nix?
(Is there a life before death? ;-)

> I could use QT ".mov" files containing only an audio track but there
> are enough apps on
> Mac and Windows that will produce (or export) a ".wav" file and Rev
> seems to like them
> on both platforms.

See above...

> As I indicated in an earlier post on this topic, it makes it a bit
> easier for my clients to generate
> such files and replace older audio files with the newer ones. Not
> insisting on the audio
> being a ".mov" makes it easier for everyone.

If diskspace or download-time does matter, then QT offers some superb
compression types
like MP4 or MOV/AIF with Q-Design etc...

Drop a line (offlist) if you need more info about (correct) formats ;-)

> Regarding your installer question: Absolutely. I have been using
> InstallCreator for Windows
> (www.clickteam.com) which is free (if you don't mind the last screen
> of the install displaying
> their name and website info). While I haven't used it enough to claim
> any expertise, it does
> have the appropriate capabilities to replace files (with or without
> asking for user approval).
> I'm not sure yet about -replacing- an entire folder (sub-directory)
> but it will do the files contained
> therein (and/or create a folder if it's not there).

Its fairly easy to create an installer with RR :-)
I already created one and if i find the time i may post it on my
website...

> And that brings us, full circle, back to the original topic of the
> post: Where to store image data.
> There are so many up here who provide useful info to me that I don't
> remember who
> recommended keeping the interface and the code separate. I'll add my 2
> cents:
> Keep the images, movies, and sounds separate, as well. The obvious
> benefit is
> that your stack won't have to load 'em all when it loads (so no
> out-of-memory problems);
> the other benefit is what we've been discussing: The ease of
> replacement should the need arise.

Exactly!

Storing media outside the stack WILL make updates easier...
Since the player/image can store the reference to the media, you can
simply replace
media, as long as they have the original size, format and name...

> As for Rev using a ".wmv" file in place of a ".mov"...I don't really
> know.

Sorry, no way to have WMV or WMA files in RR :-(
(Its a MS private-brand ;-)

QT cannot handle them (yet?) and without QT you can only play AU, AIF,
WAV, MP3, MPG
and AVI (even DivX, if the right compressor is in the system!) in a
playerobject(!)...
WindowsMediaPlayer >= 6.4 has to be installed!

> According to how I've interpreted the documentation, once a stack
> references a QT Player
> object, QT loads (if it's available). How would you show a movie
> without a Player object?
> And once QT loads, why use anything else?

Yo, amen, brother ;-)

One can easily check "the qtversion" and act accordingly...

> (Of course, it is possible that I've misinterpreted the docs yet
> again.)

Since there is a jungle of formats out there, it is understandable that
the dox cannot
cover ALL the aspects...

> Regards,
> Barry