Bug submission

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Sep 18 19:50:00 EDT 2003

> Mark - I understand and can easily appreciate your comments, but I
> remain puzzled about some aspects of bug reporting.

If Mark doesn't mind, I'll step in and provide some answers AFAIK:

> 1. Can you clarify the voting system. I've just used Bugzilla for the
> first time, only to find the bug I wanted to report (639 - bad
> Breakpoint info in an earlier version of Revolution causes the Rev
> 2.1 to crash). To me this is a show stopper, but how can I know if
> another show stopper isn't just around the corner, so how can I know
> how many votes to cast, given that I've only got a limited number of
> them?

OK. Here's the deal. Every person has 100 votes to cast among the list
of outstanding bugs (i.e. ones that have not been fixed) and features
(those marked with a severity of "enhancement" that have not been
implemented). A person can "spend" up to 5 votes on a single item, and
can remove votes that they have cast for an item to reuse it on another
item.

In Bugzilla, on most of the pages (Enter Bug/Query Bug/Bug Detail/etc.)
at the bottom in the yellow box is a link for "My Votes". Clicking this
will take you to a page that shows you all the bugs/features you've
voted on, and how many votes you assigned to each of the bugs/features.
You can change them at any time, but you cannot spend more than 5 votes
on a single bug/feature or a total of 100 across all the "open"
bugs/features.

So in answer to your question, Graham, you can spend your votes the way
you see fit and if a show stopper comes around the corner, you can pull
your votes off of other bugs and assign them to the show stopper.

> 2. I have something to add to this particular report (my experience
> involved a different earlier version and also a different version of
> the MacOS than the current report), but I don't see an opportunity to
> add further detail to an existing report. Clearly doing so might help
> the RunRev engineers, and equally it seems pointless to raise a new
> report when it looks like the exact same bug, but what is the policy
> and indeed the technique here? Sorry if this is naive, but like I
> said I've not used Bugzilla before.

No problem. When you click on a bug in a list (like the result of a
search) you are on a page with a header that says something like
"Bugzilla Bug 643". Near the middle of the page is a field called
"Additional Comments". Simply type in your comments on the bug and click
the "Commit" button. If you were not the original poster of the bug,
you're only option (displayed above the Commit button) is "Leave as
<status>", which means that all you can do is comment on the bug. If you
ARE the original poster, you can change the status and do a couple of
other things in addition to adding a comment or using the field to
explain why you changed the status of the bug.

Hope this helps,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com