encryption of stacks- how good?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Sep 18 02:14:00 EDT 2003

How good is the encryption that is used by Rev after setting a password
on a stack?

I ask because I have written a licensing stack ** that uses MD5 message
digest to validate username + license code pairs. I'm sure this
technique is solid enough for my requirements, but I want to prevent
people from reading the stack script- and that's where I don't
understand the level of security.

It's interesting to note that one can "set the passkey of this stack to
p" in the preOpenStack handler, and it unlocks the stack. I think this
means that the engine is decrypting the stack, reading the script,
compiling it, then finally checking the password. The password is
therefore not used in the encryption. Right?

** If anyone wants to use this licensing stack, including source, just
let me know off list.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com