Pros and cons of where to store image data

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Wed Sep 17 23:12:01 EDT 2003

Hi Peter,

> From: peter9.smith at ps.ge.com
> Subject: Re: Pros and cons of where to store image data
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:06:53 -0400

> My current thinking is to have each room as its own stack embedding the images
> into them.
----------
I don't think so. Definitely think about doing things like Chipp says, using
referenced images.

But I would probably use QuickTime. In fact, I might use QTVR for the rooms,
so the user can pan around in it and look at stuff, have hotspots for
picking things up.

Rev has a reasonable set of control features for QT stuff.
----------
> I don't think I can do this for sounds and movies so they will have to be
> external files (you can't have multiple embedded sounds playing?)
----------
That's true about embedded sound objects, called audioClips, (AFAIK you
can't play multiple videoClips either), but if you're willing to go the QT
route, you can have multiple QT players which can play multiple sounds. They
don't need to be onscreen to play.

Also, I think you could have a videoClip that plays congruent to a QT sound
file. IOW, you could have embedded or a set of audioClips in files that play
at the same time as a QT sound. Something like a background music loop, with
separate sound FX for things going on in the room, or things you click.

Try it onscreen. Create a couple of players and set them to two separate
sound files. As you will see, you can play them simultaneously if you like.

 I just built a simple record/playback stack that uses QT to create and
playback sound files. It has controls for QT settings, i.e., bit rates,
compression, filetypes, etc., and maintains (updates) a playlist for all my
recorded sounds.

Note:  MYST was originated in HyperCard using some specially designed
extenals.

HTH,
Ken N.