by reference parameters

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 17 11:57:01 EDT 2003

Alex Rice wrote:

> I was just doing some transcript tests and I can't see a speed
> difference between a handler with regular params vs by-reference
> parameters. Am I a correct that @params aren't used for optimization?

The engine's so fast that I doubt the time needed to copy the var would be
noticeable until you get to a chunk of data that's really, really large.

But if you're optimizing for memory conservation it can be a big help for
large params, since you only have one copy in memory with by-ref params.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation