ftping and filetype property

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Sep 16 19:43:40 EDT 2003

>I'm having trouble finding the Rev command to
>retrieve the filetype of a file on the hard-drive, before uploading to
>the server via FTP.  Did you have to use Applescript to retrieve this info?

Hi Rob,

There is no command I'm aware of to retrieve the fileType of a
specific file; however the type is included with the information
returned on each file in the default folder via the detailed files
command (item 11).

The following creates a file info footer that is appended to SDB
Utilities compressed files:

function sgzFooter fullFileName
   set the itemDelimiter to "/"
   put item -1 of fullFileName into shortFileName
   put item 1 to -2 of fullFileName into filePath
   put the defaultFolder into savedDefaultFolder
   set the defaultFolder to filePath
   put the detailed files into folderContents
   set the defaultFolder to savedDefaultFolder
   set the itemDelimiter to comma
   repeat for each line fileEntry in folderContents
     if URLDecode(item 1 of fileEntry) <> shortFileName then next repeat
     put fileEntry into returnFooter
     exit repeat
   end repeat
   if the platform is "MacOS" then return returnFooter
   switch (char -4 to -1 of fullFileName)
   case ".rev"
     put "revoRSTK" into item 11 of returnFooter
     break
   case ".txt"
     put "ttxtTEXT" into item 11 of returnFooter
     break
   default
     if char -3 to -1 of fullFileName = ".mc" then put "MCRDMSTK" into
item 11 of returnFooter
     else put "????????" into item 11 of returnFooter
   end switch
   return returnFooter
end sgzFooter

Note that on non-Mac platforms there is logic to add Mac OS file
types for .rev, .txt, and .mc files.

On decompression, the file type is retrieved from the footer.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company