Dev Language Comparison

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Sep 16 12:41:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 07:16  AM, xbury.cs at clearstream.com
wrote:
> Last but not least, an article on Slashdot.org regarding RR would be a
> boost to our
> little community...

Maybe someone with a Rev/Linux success story can post there!

> Comments or testing results anyone?

I haven't read the article, too lengthy to look at right now. But some
thoughts:

C# and .NET requires end users to install ~ 20 MB runtime, right?
That's worse than downloading an installing a Java runtime, which afaik
is ~ 5-10MB. Rev has a huge advantage here with a 2 MB runtime.

Yesterday I watched the demo (mentioned on slashdot) of Borlands new
CBuilderX IDE for C and C++. It's Windows/Solaris/Linux. It's supposed
to be their next-gen IDE that will last through the lifespan of C/C++
(decade? two?). I was drooling watching the demo- it's a nice IDE. But
had to keep reminding myself: "You hate C++. Oh yeah".

I think Rev would get a big boost if it's Externals SDK were
documented, and if it had some generic .dll-glue capabilities like
we've discussed on list before.

Now that I've figured out how to write Rev externals (it was a
challenge, let me tell you) is has opened up a lot of possibilities for
me.

My revclips external opens up the CLIPS expert system engine as
transcript functions and handlers. In the future CLIPS will be able to
inspect Rev object properties and call transcript handlers, via C calls
runtime.

This means that I will be able to control application logic either at
the high transcript level, or at a deeper level in CLIPS with a rule
based production system, or object-oriented, or procedural styles of
programming. When I say deeper level that's only because it's
abstracted down into an external lib. Not deeper as in - closer to a
system programming language like C++ or Java. Considering it's all
x-platform this opens up exciting possibilities for very smart
xplatform apps in my eyes.

A rule based production system is fast pattern matching engine. If you
know SQL, imagine a 3 way join between tables with foreign keys. Now
imagine a 10 way join. Now imagine an N-way join! And imagine that the
state of your query is persistent and you can unroll it or tweak it as
you go. That's kind of what rule based production system is about.

Anyways now I'm rambling and don't know what this has to do with your
question anymore :-)

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com