[OT] browser plugin patents - warning!

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 12 19:09:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 04:47  PM, Tuviah Snyder wrote:

> Wow how will this impact Java. Looks like Eolas has managed to disable
> Java
> in ways MS never could.
>
> Looks like these days maybe developers should spend less time coding
> as more
> time at the patent office.

Have you looked lately at how much it costs to litigate a patent
infringement lawsuit? Anyone might be better off opening a coffee shop
near the lunch room. Then again anyone can use the prier art clause to
prevent others from patenting their new ideas. Just publish the idea on
the web and nobody can patent it.

I can't believe this. "Write once, run anywhere." Hah! Run for the
hills more like. This will put an end to the website executable
movement that has just begun to take off. Think about this too; what
about SSL 128 bit encryption. Will this mean that that will need to be
closed from its current use?