linux question

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Sep 12 16:44:00 EDT 2003

Hi Roger,

> Klaus,
> The most common compression method(s) I have seen have been a 2-step
> method. First the files are compressed into a TAR file, then compressed
> even more using GZIP. The file extensions are typically
> something.tar.gz
> or  something.tgz when the 2-step method is used.
> Roger Eller
> roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
>> Hi list,
>>
>> can anyone tell me, what "compression"-format can be handled by Linux?
>> SIT/Stuffit probably not -)
>> ZIP?
>> Or good ol' built-in GZ?

>> Thanks a lot in advance...
>>
>> Regards
>> Klaus Major
>> klaus at major-k.de
>> www.major-k.de

Thanks for the fast answer.

I think i asked the wrong question ;-)

What compression, that can be done on Mac or Win (!), can be read on
Linux?

 From your reply i see, that GZ is ONE possible way :-)

Is this compatible with the built-in compression of RR?
Can the ZIP format be read on Linux, too?

I don't have a Linux machine at hand...

Thanks again...

Regards

Klaus Major