Valentina on Mac OS 9

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Sep 11 16:26:01 EDT 2003

>Is anyone using this successfully?  I know this is kind of duplicated, but
>no one has responded and I'm running out of things to try.
>
>I open the VXCMD and my stack in ResEdit.  I copy the resources from the
>VXCMD to my stack, then save my stack and close it.  Then I open my stack in
>Rev and get an error message saying "Error in function handler" with "Hint:
>Valentina".  So something is not connecting right.  Is there something else
>that needs to be done?  The Valentina docs say to copy the CODE resource to
>the stack and place the shared library in the Rev folder or in the
>Extensions folder.  But there is no CODE resource file, only the VXCMD.  Are
>they the same thing?  If so, why is it referring to two different files?
>Maybe I just need to contact Valentina Tech Support?
>
>Using Rev 2.1 on Mac OS 9.2.  Thanks
>
>Chris Sheffield
>Software Development
>Read Naturally
>csheffield at readnaturally.com

First, make sure you have fetched the desired version of Valentina.
For OS9, you  can use either the "Classic" or the "Carbon" version.
Each requires a CODE resource installed in one of the Rev stacks. If
you want to use a traditional xfcn, you can fetch the "Classic_HC"
version. The only difference is that you won't be able to pass binary
data.

Second, a separate resource file referred to in the doc is not
included in recent releases. You need to fetch the CODE resource from
the test stack, VXCMD_Test.mc.

Third, I don't know where you see a file called VXCMD. The Valentina
engine (the shared library) file is called VXCMD_Classic_MC or
VXCMD_Carbon_MC, respectively. This is the file that should be in
your extensions folder (in system folder) or alternatively inside the
rev folder.

Forth, make sure that the CODE (or xfcn) resource matches the engine
(shared library). If they don't match, you will get system crashes.
It makes things simpler to have only a single Valentina external (the
CODE resource) within your Rev environment (that is within any valid
message path) and only a single engine file installed.

Robert Brenstein